Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pretty Little Liars' Shay Mitchell Talks Beauty

What is your daily beauty regimen?
Shay: My daily beauty regimen is definitely always in the mornings, and at night, always washing my face with a basic cleanser. I also use a moisturizer with SPF to follow up. Due to the fact that I'm on set working and get a lot of makeup put on all the time, the days that I'm not working I try not to put on any makeup so I can let my skin breathe.
What do you do to your hair to make it so gorgeous?
Shay: I've been fortunate to be on a set where they have a lot of products given to them, so most recently I've been getting a lot of Kerastase hair products. I've been using that, and I've also been using hair masks. I really like to use natural things, so I just ordered a bunch of product from this company called Earth to Body. It's all organic, handmade skincare. I'm using their apple cider hairwash too, which I really like. If I can ever go online and look up recipes for hair masks, do-it-yourself masks, I'll always do that first. If there's something I can use that's already in my kitchen, that works.
What is your fitness regimen?
Shay: I really like to try out anything and everything. With fitness, I do Bikrams hot yoga. The gym that I have in my building is amazing. I love to do cardio and weights there. That's probably what I go to most, especially when I'm working. I work out either before shooting or after with treadmill, elliptical or weights. There's a bunch of different classes and fun things to do in L.A as far as fitness goes.
Did you always want to get into acting?
Shay: When I was younger, I was modeling. I was in the modeling industry, and I always took acting class. I never had an agent, but I was always taking classes. I knew what I wanted to do was going to be in the entertainment industry. I just felt comfortable, whether it was making people laugh or taking photos for clients with an idea and being able to do that for them. I've known that I wanted to do this for a long time. Of course getting older, acting was a much more suitable career than modeling was.
Since you were in the modeling industry, what is your opinion of society's "tall and skinny" stigma?
Shay: Yeah. I wasn't really for that. The other thing was like, we're being bombarded with 2,000 images a day from everything from billboards to magazines to just everything. With those photos, and I know from doing it, everything's Photoshopped. It's the lighting and fake eyelashes going on even when you're doing a natural beauty shoot. It makes me feel bad because there are a lot of young girls who look up and say "I wanna look like this girl in this magazine," but if you see that girl in the morning, she's beautiful, but no one really looks like that. There is a lot of Photoshop that goes into it. I did like modeling because it gave me the experience that I have and allowed me to travel and it is good.
I just feel like there should be more advertisements like the Dove campaign. When they showed that women who had gone through all of that Photoshop to end up from A to B. I LOVE that. I think that there needs to be more of that. I do feel like there needs to be more natural girls who aren't so slim. I saw something recently on Jessica Simpson, and she did a cover of a magazine and she was all natural, I think that's great. I really like that. If you're not in this industry, you don't know what goes on. I always tell this story, because it's so funny. Even when you see people from our show, when you see a morning scene, or you're supposed to be going to bed, there is still makeup on, and we have professional lighting guys who are amazing. We have makeup artists that are touching us up. I wish I could look like that in the morning, but you don't. We all have to find beauty within us, as opposed to just our exterior.
In your opinion, what makes someone beautiful?
Shay: The way a woman carries herself. Whether it be posture -- I feel like it gives you a confident look. And having a smile on top of that. There's nothing more beautiful than that. I have some actresses that I find beautiful because you just can't find a picture of them not smiling.
Credit - Gabrielle Compolongo @ the examiner
Kelli at Gossip Freak

No comments:

Post a Comment